Thursday, March 19, 2009

Table Mountain Ablaze and Awesome Allergy

Two nights ago, Table Mountain caught fire, most likely due to a cigarette. I was riding back from the only Irish pub in Cape Town on St. Patty's night and could very clearly see and smell the fire. Now, two days later, it's still going because it's been very windy here. The shot above shows one of the helicopters that dumps water on the fire---it's hard to see the fire in the day time, but you can make out some smoke behind the white house. The whole city is stinky, but the fire is isolated to the mountain and shouldn't be dangerous for anyone.


Today our group took a tour of the Cape Malay area. South Africa had slaves at nearly the same time as the U.S., but their slaves were all Malaysian, Indonesian, and Indian. There is still a large population in Cape Town, and we are lucky enough that our assistant director, Tahira, is Cape Malay, so she guided our tour today and shared great information about her culture. The above photo shows some of the traditional houses in the area - Rainbow Row, Charleston, anyone?? The next photo shows traditional wear for weddings. Our wise (or wise-ass) driver Wonga suggested that I take note for my upcoming wedding. The highlight of the Cape Malay tour was visiting the Slave Lodge, which is now a museum. In addition to information regarding South Africa's slave history, there was also a large exhibit on Steve Biko, on loan from the Apartheid Museum. Steve Biko was a revolutionary leader in the late 1970s and advocated for blacks to see themselves as whole and beautiful and not subscribe to the white man's standards. He was killed in police custody in 1977 at the age of 30.



In other news, I have a riddle - what's worse than having 200 bedbug bites all over your body?? Being allergic to them! The room I was originally in had "a bit of a bedbug issue" and I was the lucky victim. Bedbugs are sneaky and numb you before they bite, so you don't wake up. My bites were tiny until later in the day, when THIS appeared- Not having had experienced the joy of bedbugs before, I thought this was normal. However, when I arrived to school, I was promptly told that I should see a doctor immediately. I got to experience the South African health care system, which was actually much more pleasant than ours at home. Anti-histamine pills and hydro-cortozoned up, I'm now looking a bit more normal. The CCS staff has generally babied me in every way - our driver Wonga even held my hand to and from the doctor and pharmacy. I'm in a new, bug free room, and I've gained sole use of the bathroom with the tub, as I am soaking in tea tree oil twice a day. Cross your fingers for me that I'm not spotted on May 3rd!!


Blossom Street Primary is going splendidly. I'm working as a school social worker for the Grade Ones and we began this week doing art therapy for feelings group. What makes you happy, how do you feel when you're happy, etc. I brought in play-doh so they could form the things or ideas that make them happy. Each week will be a new feeling and a new medium, which gets the kids really jazzed b/c they mostly only have nubby crayons. They surprised me a bit with their answers - normal answers came up such as butterflies and cake, but also, many children made houses. Considering the living conditions they are currently in, this was pretty significant. My favorite boy Nino (I shouldn't have a favorite, should I!) made a microphone and did a stunning rendition of "I'm a Barbie Girl, In a Barbie World". Fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment